Thursday, September 17, 2009

When I was first starting out on this project I knew I wanted to do something cool with paint, but I had never messed around with paint before so I knew it wasn’t going to be easy. I got seven tubes of oil paint, laid them out on a white sketch pad and tried to squirt it out so each would make its own line of paint. I am kind of a perfectionist when it comes to certain things, so you can imagine the time it took just to get the “perfect line” of paint. I’d say I redid them all at least three times. By the third time I didn’t have enough paint in each color to go around, so I took a picture of it and stuck with it. I luckily had enough blue paint left to use as letters to spell out “USI ART CLUB.” Using the paint to create the letters was even more interesting than the lines, but I thought the “not so perfect” look would work. I also took a picture of ears of corn (representing Fall Festival for the Art Club) and different “art tools” such as, a sharpie, charcoal pencil and so on. When picking my objects, I wanted to obviously have them relate to Art Club but I also wanted to be able to represent different forms of art, such as painting, charcoal drawing, graphic design (in putting the elements together through Photoshop) and so on. I know I couldn’t possibly represent all forms of art but I tried to get a variety in there.

When I finally got on the computer and started putting the page together I decided to use a black background so that the different colors of paint would kind of pop off the page. With so much color from the different lines of paint and the lettering I didn’t want to overdo the page so I kept a lot of the rest simple. I also wanted the writing to be easily legible. In the end I decided not to use the ears of corn because I couldn’t find a way to incorporate it into the picture. I used the “art tools” to kind of create a side border for the Art Club information. My three elements ended up being the tubes of paint lines, the Art Club lettering, and the “art tools”.

No comments:

Post a Comment